- I got a book out of the library last week: The Art of Bessie Lowenhaupt. What a wonderful painter this woman was! Though she went to the Chicago Art Institute as a young woman from 1899-1903, she basically didn’t paint again until her husband’s death in 1954. At 63 years old Ms. Lowenhaupt started painting her best work. I love everything about it (color use, composition, simplicity, emotion). Here is the only good link to an example of her work I could find (which is distressing–this woman is awesome!)
- The composition of the above painting was inspired by Bessie Lowenhaupt.
- Another illustrator I just LOVE is French artist Jacqueline Duheme… particularly her use of color. Unfortunately I can’t find a single good example online… I’m sorry! (But the book linked to her name above is worth getting.)
- I love living with Wes (11). He’s so funny! I took him to the doctor yesterday where he got a shot, etc. He complained later that he wasn’t the doctor’s “Test Torture Device,” and that he wasn’t going back.
- Consider this quote by R. Buckminster Fuller: “You can rest assured that if you devote your time and attention to the highest advantage of others, the Universe will support you, always and only in the nick of time.”
10 Saturday Mar 2007
jenny kostecki said:
hey Carla–i love that painting of Bessie Lowenhaupt’s. i need to look her up. i’m from st. louis (originally)…wonder if she has any work in the stl art museum or somewhere else there. really inspiring. thanks for sharing…and also the words of Buckminster Fuller. he’s a great inspiration. jenny
liz elayne said:
it has been raining here non-stop for over 12 hours now…so i am glad your little seattle girl has that big umbrella…
she is wondrous.
and reading about finding inspiration in the work of others…finding the books at the library…might just be the gentle nudge i need to go back to the library and pay those library fines with a smile so that i can check out more books…
I love her!! Can you do her up on a journal? Would love one of her. Best ~ Rella
jessie lavon said:
I love your art and enjoyed your blog.I just got mine up and going,hope you will come visite. Y’alls Jessie
ooo, I love this! I live near Seattle and it’s been raining for days.
Are these up in your shop? I’d love one!
Karine Swenson said:
Carla, your blog is so much fun! Love your references to other artists. Thanks for blogging!
love that book by Jaqueline Duheme, I am going online right now to order it
You always have such great links and quotes! Thank you so much for inspiring me today!